Good book + Good packaging + Good marketing = Good results.
No matter how good your book is, as a self-publisher you need to do as much as you can to get your book to market.
Traditional publishing houses take care of this for you. They have established distribution channels and do everything they can to make the book attractive for wholesalers, retailers, buyers and readers. They will tell you what the title will be and also take control of cover design. They may require you to rewrite large sections of your book or have it re-edited. This expertise ultimately comes at a cost to you in the form of a royalty payment of just 5% per sale – probably even less.
When you self-publish you have complete control over your book.
But you need to be involved in the marketing of your book (or employ Green Hill to help).
Good marketing starts with the title of your book and also the cover – both back and front. A great title will draw attention. And books are judged by their cover. Green Hill can advise on this but leave the final decision to you.
Many authors market their book on-line through their social media accounts like Facebook. Making you book available on Amazon is also easy. If you have a website you can install a shopping cart and take payments.
For Authors who don’t want to do DIY marketing, Green Hill offers a professional service to get your book from the printer into the hands of readers. Our service is based on an hourly rate of $90 + GST per hour. A 10 Hour Block is available for $800 + GST, a 20 Hour Block $1,500 + GST.
Services available include:
- Marketing planning and strategy
- Social media platform development – e.g. Facebook and Twitter and virtual blogging services
- Website development
- Publicity – media releases and representation to organisations
- New POD channel establishment and management – including IPS and TB, we can set up and maintain
- Amazon optimisation
- Soliciting and distributing book reviews
- Direct representation to wholesale channels and direct to retailers
- Catalogues including paid advertising